What is Hypoallergenic Jewelry?
Hypoallergenic jewelry is jewelry that is created with metals that most likely won’t irritate the skin.
Have you ever worn a pair of earrings or a ring and found your skin irritated a few hours later? That reaction was most likely caused by the nickel in your jewelry. Most jewelry is made with a mix of metals. One of these metals is often Nickel, which only a small portion (around 15%) of people are allergic to.
Nickel is used as an additive to make other metals more durable and makes jewelry cheaper. You’ll often find nickel used in gold plated jewelry.
What kind of jewelry is hypoallergenic?
When shopping for hypoallergenic jewelry make sure the description mentions not only hypoallergenic, but also the base and finish metal. You’ll want to avoid anything that mentions nickel. You can confidently purchase the following hypoallergenic metals:
- Nickel free sterling silver
- Surgical stainless steel
- Gold vermeil
- Gold filled
- Solid gold
Not only will you most likely not have an allergic reaction when purchasing the above metals you will also get higher quality made jewelry. Which means your jewelry will last much longer.
Why did my finger turn green from my ring?
When you wear a ring or earrings and later find your skin green that is caused by brass or copper in the jewelry. Many think this is an allergic reaction, but it is not. A green finger can be super annoying, but not super alarming. Both copper and brass can have a reaction to sweat or chemicals that create oxidation that turns your skin green. To avoid this we recommend going the same route as if you wanted hypoallergenic jewelry. Make sure the bracelet, ring, or whatever jewelry piece you want to purchase includes the base and finish metal that doesn’t include brass or copper.
When purchasing a ring, earrings, or other jewelry at Harper Green we also try to include the different types of metals used to create each piece. If you ever